Staff Equality Forums
As a City we are proud of our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion. We’re an incredibly diverse city that pulls together and proudly celebrates our differences – but we know that many residents still face disadvantage and discrimination. Everyone who lives or works in Wolverhampton is valued for the unique contribution they make to our city and we won’t rest until everyone can achieve their potential and live their lives free of discrimination.
As a local authority one of the key ways we do this is via our Staff Equality Forums. Our Staff Equality Forums go to the heart of our commitment to EDI within our organisation. The history of our Staff Equality Forums goes back to May 2020 with the murder of George Floyd. The Council reached out to our staff through our Staff Equality Forums and asked for colleagues to share their experiences. It was painful to hear officers tell you that they felt invisible and under-valued.
This then spurred the Strategic Executive Board to strengthen our Staff Equality Forums; giving them £5,000 budget each year; allocated a Strategic Executive Sponsor to work closely with each forum, staff equality forum Reps to attend weekly Strategic Executive Board Meetings.
This has then led to some key changes in the organisation such as:
- New Equality Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
- Development of Directorate Equality Plans which are led by Directorates
- Development of No Offence Training which focuses on lived experience
- Signing of the Race at Work Charter
- Becoming a “Disability Confident” Employer
- Being award a Silver Award in the Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2022
- Signing Menopause at Work Pledge
- Receiving the RACE Code Quality Mark
Staff Equality Forums play an integral part to the Council as it allows colleagues to voice their views, questions and concerns directly in a safe space. Colleagues are valued, listened to and work closely with wider teams to implement change. We focus on whether it’s the right thing to do; not the easy thing to do.